Cedar Planked Salmon on the Big Green Egg

how to make cedar planked salmon on the big green egg

The smoke from the cedar paired with the charcoal make for an intoxicating aroma!

There’s nothing as good as wild sockeye salmon cooked on cedar or alder planks over lump charcoal. The salmon gets slowly smoked on the wood, while also absorbing the smoke of your charcoal. If I died and went to heaven, I imagine it would smell like this.

You get such great flavor from cooking them on the cedar plank, I usually do a simple seasoning such as slathering the fish in an old bay compound butter, or applying an ample amount of Dizzy Pig BBQ Tsunami Spin Rub Spice – 7.6 ozBut a good dash or sea salt, fresh ground pepper and a drizzle of lemon afterwards should also do the trick.

Cedar planked salmon is great paired with any veggie, but one of my favorites is grilled asparagus drizzled in lemon. I like to grill a few lemons at the same time – this makes for great presentation on the plate as well as makes them extra juicy for squeezing on the salmon. Another great pairing is my Charleston style coleslaw.

cedar planked salmon on the big green egg

Put lemons on the grill to get some nice char marks- it makes for great presentation on the plate and the lemons are extra juicy for squeezing on the salmon afterwards.

Ingredients: (serves 2)

Directions

I created a direct and indirect zone by moving the coals to one side. I placed the cedar planks on the indirect side and let the grill cook at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes, ensuring that the coals did not get overly hot and maintaining a steady “baking” temp. Once your fish has reached an internal temp of 140 degrees with an internal read thermometer such as a thermapen, you can take them off the grill.

*While many other BGE blogs do not mention creating direct and indirect zones on your egg, I believe this is important so your planks are less likely to catch on fire or burn. If you don’t have the space to create zones by moving your charcoal to one side, I recommend keeping your coals very low and, once at temperature, almost sealing off the air once to essentially turn the egg into a baking environment.

Print Friendly

, , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Cedar Planked Salmon on the Big Green Egg

1. Greg August 23, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Robyn – get out of my mind! I was just saying to my wife last night that we’ve never had salmon on the Egg and that neither of us have even tried cedar planked salmon.

It’s going to be a beauty weekend here in Toronto so I think we’ll be firing the Egg up both nights. I think this will be Saturday’s dinner.

Great timing!

Greg

2. larry August 24, 2013 at 11:48 am #

Looks like an amazing piece of fish Robyn and your how-to should make it easy for anyone to turn out a fine meal.

3. Chris August 25, 2013 at 11:11 am #

An alternative to two zone fires on the Egg is cooking “raised direct”. The extra distance gives you a bit of thermal cushion. I’m no physicist but the inverse-square law applies to heat and distance. For example, if you move 1 foot from a heat source, you cut the heat energy by 4 times or something like that.

So assume you have your Egg stabilized at 350f, that’s air temp. You also have direct radiant heat applied to the bottom of the plank. If you raise your cooking planks from the grid to 4 to 6 inches higher, you are still cooking at 350f but you have cut the direct heat to the bottom of the plank by 2-4 times so it is less likely to burn.

I have to get a physicist from nearby Oak Ridge National Laboratory to write a post about this for me. But try it raised direct and see what you think. A lot of the Eggheads use that technique for spatchcock chicken and planked meals.

Have a great weekend!

4. Kim Beaulieuc September 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm #

I love grilled salmon, even more so when it’s planked. This looks amazing.

I have to say I really need a big green egg. I have a propane grill and a charcoal but nothing quite as nice as the egg. It’s on my “need to acquire” list.

5. Kristin June 1, 2014 at 11:49 am #

Hi, I am new to grilling. I am taking it on as a cooking challenge this summer. Is this recipe do-able on a regular charcaol grill? I would love to try it, but don’t have a big green egg. Thanks! Kristin

6. Robyn June 2, 2014 at 7:53 am #

Hi Kristin- absolutely- this recipe is fine on a standard charcoal or even gas grill. Just create a direct and indirect zone and cook on the indirect side. Best of luck to you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Plank Grilling Cookbook Giveaway | Grill Grrrl Blog: Grill Girl, Big Green Egg Recipes, Healthy Grilling Recipes, Tailgating Recipes, Paleo RecipesGrill Grrrl Blog: Grill Girl, Big Green Egg Recipes, Healthy Grilling Recipes, Tailgating Recipes, Paleo Rec - April 12, 2014

[…] on the table. Some of the most popular recipes on this site are plank grilling recipes such as my cedar planked salmon recipe or my maple planked orange oregano chicken […]

2. Pics from Another Successful Women's Grilling Clinic | Grill Grrrl Blog: Grill Girl, Big Green Egg Recipes, Healthy Grilling Recipes, Tailgating Recipes, Paleo RecipesGrill Grrrl Blog: Grill Girl, Big Green Egg Recipes, Healthy Grilling Recipes, Tail - June 12, 2014

[…] Appetizers- Jalapeno Proscuitto Poppers and Basil Butter Texas Toast, and for main course we did Cedar Planked Salmon, BBQ Chicken Pizza, How to Grill the Perfect Steak, and Island Spice Pork Tenderloin. We made a few […]