I heart coleslaw. When I go to a new BBQ restaurant, if their coleslaw is not up to par, it ruins the experience for me, even if their meat is good. I’m always trying to eat low carb (hence how I got my start grilling) and am always looking for new veggies and coleslaw recipes to try that aren’t loaded in fat and calories. Great coleslaw is a paring of great flavors without swimming in mayo!
The mix of cilantro, lime juice, chipotle peppers and crisp apples make for an exotic coleslaw that pairs awesomely with fish, pulled pork, and just about anything. Plus, it is made with non fat yogurt and low fat mayo so it is a low guilt recipe! My friend Steve has eaten an entire batch of this slaw in one day, so I will take that as a compliment.
- half head cabbage (green or red cabbage is fine)- or half a bag of pre-shredded cabbage mix
- one medium sized apple or pear, chopped fine
- 3 tblsp. chopped fresh cilantro. (you cannot use dried cilantro.)
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion, (or half of a small onion)
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped (add more if you like spice!)
- 1/4 c. mayonaise (I prefer light mayo, you can’t tell the difference in this recipe)
- 1/4 c. nonfat plain yogurt or nonfat Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. lemon or lime juice (+ more to taste if the slaw is too dry)
- 1 tbsp. sugar or splenda (I use splenda- the lower the calories the better!)
I mix all the wet ingredients first then add the sugar, grated apple, peppers, cilantro, etc then the cabbage at the end. Let this slaw sit for 30 minutes to marinate first.
This is my “go to” coleslaw recipe. Let me know what you think- I promise you won’t be disappointed!