Standing Rib Roast, ie; Prime Rib on the Grill

This prime rib came out beautifully and the rub created a nice aromatic crust. No photoshopping on this photo, it just came out that good! :)

I never grew up having Prime Rib for the Holidays, but I’ve heard that it’s a staple in many a Holiday Kitchen, so I thought I’d give it a try this year. My friends over at Grand Western Steaks recommended I give one a try so I thought, why not? Maybe a Standing Rib Roast will become a fixture at my holiday table.

As you all very well know, anything you can do in an oven, you can do on your grill, and I set out to dry roast the Prime Rib in my Big Green Egg. While many will add a “kiss of smoke”, the lump charcoal used in the egg is wood, and it is smoky on its own so I figured this was enough after consorting with the BBQ perfectionists in my life (Meathead from Amazing Ribs, Chris from Nibblemethis and John Dawson from Patio Daddio).

I used a 6lb bone in rib roast, but I’ve heard that this cut of meat is equally good without the bones as in this cut of meat the bones aren’t adding flavor/texture as much as they seem to in other cuts (according to Meathead in his recent recipe). I made a wonderful rub that was a variation of Adam Perry Lang’s and truly wouldn’t change a thing about this rub. It is PERFECT.

My conclusion is that if you are a Prime Rib person, this rub and method work well and will not disappoint. As always, the Big Green Egg maintains temperature and the rub created a juicy crust that complimented the meat perfectly.

Rosemary, bourbon barrel smoked sea salt and pepper, garlic, beef base and olive oil make for a very aromatic rub.

Ingredients:

• 6lb standing rib roast

Rub:

• 1 tbsp sea salt (I used Bourbon Barrel Smoked Sea Salt which is my fave!!)
  • 2 tbsp cracked black pepper (I used Bourbon Barrel smoked pepper)
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp beef base
  • 2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped fine
  • 2 tbsp olive oil

Horseradish Dipping Sauce; this is a slight adaptation of Meathead’s “Secretariat Sauce”.

• 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 4 tbsp prepared horseradish
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 3 pinches sea salt

Mix together and refrigerate until ready to serve. This makes enough for leftovers the next day.

Ready for some heat!

Directions:

Set the meat out for at least 30 minutes before putting on the grill so it has time to get closer to room temperature.

Go ahead and heat up your grill for indirect cooking at 325 degrees. As I used the Big Green Egg, I inverted the plate setter so the legs were facing up, then put an aluminum pan on it to catch the drippings. The meat rested on the grates.

(The plate setter is used for cooking indirect on the egg. If you are using a gas or charcoal grill, you will need to create an indirect cooking zone by leaving one burner on and putting the meat on the indirect (burner off) side. The same applies for charcoal where the charcoal will be on one side of the grill and you will put the roast on the indirect side, ie, not on top of the coals.)

Mix the rub ingredients together and rub into the meat well so all parts are well coated. If you like, you can trim some of the fat on the meat so that there are more places for the rub to adhere.

Put the meat on the grill with the bones on the bottom and the fat cap on the top.

Use a meat thermometer so that you can watch the internal temperature of the meat. Roast your meat at 325 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees (this will be medium rare). Keep in mind that the meat will continue to cook after you take if off the grill. For a 6 lb rib roast, this will take about 1.5-2 hours. I recommend using the Thermapen to check internal temps as a full-proof method for measuring temperature.

Tent your roast for 15-20 minutes so the juices can reabsorb. I served mine with a creamy horseradish dipping sauce that also went well with the French Dip Sandwiches I made with the leftovers the next day.

You can use the drippings to make gravy but I was happy with the dipping sauce for this recipe. I paired it with roasted asparagus and blue cheese mashed potatoes for a killer Holiday meal. Serve this for your next special occasion or when the family comes to town and you won’t be disappointed.

Print Friendly

, , , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to Standing Rib Roast, ie; Prime Rib on the Grill

1. PatioDaddio January 1, 2012 at 12:41 am #

Great looking cow, grrrl! I’m more than happy to be one of your BBQ perfectionists. :-)

2. Lea Ann January 1, 2012 at 8:35 am #

I’ve never “done” a standing rib roast. I’m afraid I’ll ruin a very expensive piece of meat. Happy New Year Robyn.

3. Larry January 1, 2012 at 11:07 am #

Looks perfect Robyn, we had it as well for Christmas and it’s hard to beat

4. Eddie Medlin January 1, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Wow, looks awesome. I will try this recipe soon on My BGE. Happy New Year to you Scott and the Babies!!

5. Chris January 1, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

Hey Robyn, that prime rib looks flawless, I can almost SEE how tender it is in that first picture. Looks like you have that Egg mastered.

6. Dave January 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

That rib roast looks wonderful! I used Meathead’s rub on a prime rib yesterday and it was outstanding.

7. steve January 2, 2012 at 10:36 am #

Looks great!! I did a seven bone on my Weber Performer that turned out pretty darn good. I used a bit of hickory and had no complaints.

8. Woody January 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

GREAT Job Robyn ….. look forward to seeing what else you cook thoughout the year on the BGE !!!!

Happy New Year ….

9. Robyn January 2, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Thanks Mark!! I think I’m finally tuning it in!!

10. Robyn January 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Thanks Dave! Happy 2012 and lots of great grilling in the new year!!

11. Robyn January 2, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Thanks Chris!! I think that I’m finally getting it tuned in. Happy 2012!

12. Robyn January 2, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

Thx John! Happy 2012!

13. Fred January 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm #

is the BGE your smoker of choice or do you use other grills for cooking prime rib? This cook looks good!

14. Robyn January 4, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

Hi Fred. I used the BGE because it maintains temp so well but I’m sure you could easily use any other type of grill – charcoal kettle or even gas as long as you have it on indirect.

15. Marilyn aka HotSauceChick January 4, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

Robyn, you’ve done it again! Prime rib, bleu cheese mashed potatoes? Wow! You really hooked me when you talked about the french dip sandwiches though. I can’t think of a better leftover meal than that! (I’m with you on using the drippings. As much as I would love to use them, they do tend to get a bit smoky if “someone” insists on adding wood chips to every fire.) Never considered beef base for the rub. Well done, lady!

16. Robyn January 5, 2012 at 7:48 am #

Thanks for the kind comments Marilyn. :) The idea for the beef base came from Adam Perry Lang and Chris Lilly also does this for his brisket. Truly I have not always been a big fan of Prime Rib but mine turned out so great I think it has changed my mind. I hope you had an awesome holiday! :)

17. Katherine January 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm #

Your standing rib roast looks so moist and tender. I started to cook one for Christmas and wound up going with a beef tenderloin. I’m thinking I am going to try this for Easter!

18. Kerry September 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

Robyn did you do any kind of sear after the roast? Or did yours develop a crust as is?

19. Robyn September 13, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Hi Kerry. I did not do any searing, it developed a crust on its own without needing a sear. You will dig the recipe.

20. Kerry September 15, 2012 at 12:15 am #

Robyn you’re right! I did, it did, and it was delish! Can’t wait to wow some guests. Thanks!

21. Robyn September 18, 2012 at 6:13 am #

Hi Kerry, I’m glad you liked it! I used the leftovers to make french dip sandwiches, the recipe is also on my site. They were also a HUGE hit!!

22. Bill Hamby December 16, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

We cooked a 5.5 prim rib on the grill today as a pre lube for Christmas day dinner. Used a rub similar to yours and on a rotisserie for about two hours. Used the drippings to make a gravey for garlic mashed potatoes and fresh cut green beens. My wife and I was so impressed that we will do this ever 2 or 3 months. Doing a 18 lb for Christmas as we will have all the kids and grand kids over for dinner. Can’t wait!

23. Robyn December 17, 2012 at 6:52 am #

Wow Bill! Sounds fantastic! I bet it was excellent on a rotisserie! this post is making me hungry!

24. Gary Gattis April 20, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

OK. I just followed this recipe to the nth degree and it looks like I just ruined a $115.00 worth of rib roast. The six pound roast was at room temp when started on the green egg and temp was maintained at 325. At about one and a half hours internal temp was exactly 130. Tented the roast for 30 minutes. The entire 1/4 of the bottom of the roast (bone side) is raw!!! Never seen this before. When I say raw I mean bleeding, too raw to carve. I guess I’ll stick the pieces in the oven to see if they can be salvaged. This our Easter meal and my wife is about ready to kill me over this.

25. Robyn April 20, 2014 at 5:01 pm #

Hi Garry,

That is odd I’ve never gotten bad experiences with this recipe but there is always a first I guess. How did you set up your charcoal- did you use a placesetter? Just trying to figure out what variables could have made this happen….

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Prime Rib on the Grill | RecipeFirst - May 11, 2014

[…] Use a meat thermometer so that you can watch the internal temperature of the meat. Roast your meat at 325 degrees until the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees (this will be medium rare). Keep in mind that the meat will continue to cook after you take if off the grill. For a 6 lb rib roast, this will take about 1.5-2 hours. I recommend using the Thermapen to check internal temps as a full-proof method for measuring tempera…. […]