Jalapeno Poppers

Jalapeno Poppers made with jalapenos, cream cheese and bacon

Jalapeno Poppers made with jalapenos, cream cheese and bacon

Even people who don’t like spicy food have tried these at my house and have gone back for seconds. I wouldn’t classify this recipe as “healthy” yet it is healthier than traditional jalapeno poppers that have been put in a fryer! Whenever Scott and I make these, even if it is only the two of us, there are never any leftovers. They are that good!!

All you need for these poppers are:

1) jalapenos

2) cream cheese or neaufchatel cheese

3) one pack of bacon

Because you need a way to “suspend” the poppers on a rack to let the bacon cook and have the fat cook off, I actually take one of the racks out of my oven and put it on top of a 9″ X 13″ pan that is covered with tin foil (cuts down on the mess!). So, remember to take the rack out before you:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Now, prepare the peppers. Cut the stem off the peppers and with a knife, scrape all of the chilis and inside portion out of the inside of the peppers. (Leaving the seeds will make them even hotter, which is okay, but you need room inside to stuff your cream cheese.) For the really large peppers, chop them in half.

Now stuff the peppers with cream cheese. For the peppers you have cut in half, you will need to wrap the bacon around the top and bottom of the pepper so that the cream cheese cannot fall out. The peppers will be suspended in the oven so that the bacon can cook down… For the peppers that have only been cut where the stem was removed, simply stuff with cream cheese and the bacon only has to cover the top. You will cut each piece of bacon in halvesĀ of thirds to be the right size for the peppers. If the peppers you use are REALLY big, this will vary… If you do not cut the large peppers in half, they will be HOTTER. This makes the pepper to cheese to bacon ratio off and makes the experience much hotter, which is not a bad thing. I am just warning you!

Arrange your poppers on your oven rack over a baking pan lined in foil.

Arrange your poppers on your oven rack over a baking pan lined in foil.

After stuffing the pepper with cream cheese, then wrapping it with bacon in the right way so that the cheese can’t fall out of the bottom, you will then secure it with a toothpick or a skewer that has been cut in half. This is what will suspend the poppers on the over rack so they cook evenly.

Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until bacon is beginning to get crispy and the cream cheese is bubbling.

THESE ARE EVERYONES FAVORITES!!! You can prepare these in advance and then pop them in someone’s oven if you are going to a friends house. ENJOY!!!

, ,

7 Responses to Jalapeno Poppers

1. Scott February 12, 2010 at 6:50 pm #

Helpful tip! When you are doing the popper prep, fill and flush them with water while you are removing the seeds and inner core. The water will float the seeds up and out, making the cleaning go much faster.

2. Chantal Martineau February 13, 2010 at 2:56 pm #

Hi GrillGrrrl,

I’m a writer for Every Day with Rachael Ray. We are working on our upcoming grilling issue and will be featuring grill tips from every state. I would love to interview you about Florida-specific grilling. You can reach me at the email provided. My deadline is around the corner so hope to hear from you soon!

Best,
    Chantal

3. Kaylan February 7, 2011 at 7:13 am #

I had the honor of tasting these fresh out of the oven! I had to close my eyes and savor the moment!! Perfect! Thanks for sharing this great clever recipe!

4. Denny Hilgemann April 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Here’s my version: Blanch peppers in boiling water for 1 minute, then soak in ice water before slicing and deseeding. Mix cajun seasoning with the cream cheese.
    Use thick sliced peppered bacon, fry it about 3/4 done and let cool. I cut it on the diagonal into 3 or 4 pieces. Stuff the pepper halves with cheese mixture, wrap with bacon and secure with toothpick. Place on cookie sheet and freeze them then bag’em up. I usually do about 100 halves at a time. Freeze them and enjoy all winter. Bake frozen on cookie sheet for 15 min. at 415 degrees.

5. Robyn April 9, 2011 at 10:42 am #

thanks for sharing Denny! I’ll have to give that a try! :)

6. The Jacked Up Grill July 4, 2011 at 8:57 pm #

I just made your jalepeno popper recipe for our Independence day extravaganza, and they were a huge hit. I linked your page in my post about it. Hope you don’t mind!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Top 5 Superbowl Recipes for Foodies | Grill Grrrl Blog: Grill Girl, Big Green Egg Recipes, Healthy Grilling Recipes, Tailgating Recipes, Paleo RecipesGrill Grrrl Blog: Grill Girl, Big Green Egg Recipes, Healthy Grilling Recipes, Tailgating Recipes, Paleo - January 20, 2014

[…] work (and trust me these are a lot of work but they are super worth it) then you can try my other Jalapeno Poppers stuffed with Bacon and cream cheese recipe that are better made in the oven or on the grill on indirect heat. #nocarb, […]